Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Greek Burgers



Upon cleaning out and organizing my mom's kitchen last week, I found a cookbook from my college days that I had forgotten about. It was written in the late 90's so their version of healthy eating is a bit different then mine (as long as its low-fat, that is all that matters, right?) but with a few minor changes, I came up with 3 tasty dishes this week. These burgers can also be made with turkey, if you prefer. I served them on sandwich thins (the best thing of all time) but a pita would be a great substitute as well. Because I'm lazy (look, I cook 24 individual meals every Sunday. Cut me some slack), I used ready made 4% fat burger patties (not frozen) but if you feel like making your own, have at it friends!





Greek Burgers


Serves 4





Ingredients:



4 burger patties or equivalent

4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped


1 tbsp red wine vinegar


2 tsp fresh basil


1/8 tsp salt


dash pepper


1 1/2 oz low fat feta


4 sandwich thins


1 bag spinach





Directions:





Cook burgers whatever way you prefer: grill, broiler, on the stove top, George Foreman





While burgers are cooking, combine tomatoes, vinegar, basil salt and pepper in a bowl, mix well. Let stand at room temp for 20 minutes so flavors can combine.





Once burgers are done to your liking, top each with a handful of spinach, a spoonful of tomato mixture and the feta cheese.

0 comments:

Bi-Coastal Foodies   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP