Thursday, November 19, 2009

Chicken and Rice


This was a staple in our house growing up. The kids often talk about how we wish we could have it now but we weren't sure how super healthy it was. I also had a fear that if I healthed it up (I just made that up, did you like it?), I would lose the great taste. Turns out, I was wrong. The taste is still great and it is a great reminder of childhood. For this first time experiment, I used a rotisserie chicken that I de-skinned. If you want to save a little time, feel free to go that route and if not, just cook up 1.5lb of chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces.


Side note: I did a little price comparison this weekend and discovered that if you shred your own Parmesan cheese, it is almost half the cost of buying it pre-shredded. Just cube it up and throw it in a food processor!


Chicken and Rice

Serves 8


1 rotisserie chicken, de-skinned and shredded

1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use the low fat, low sodium version)

4 cups dry brown rice

4 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese


Directions:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Throw first 4 ingredients into a 9x13 cooking dish and mix around. Top with cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is lightly browned and crunchy.


Seriously. That's it. You can make this faster then it takes take-out to arrive!

0 comments:

Bi-Coastal Foodies   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP