Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crock Pot Goodness: Easy Cheesy Ravioli Casserole

Because my brothers girlfriend rocks, she bought me a great slow-cooker book for Christmas. She was also nice enough to loan me her son for a day to experiment with. The day I made this recipe we also lost gas to the condo because our neighbors are crazy SO I had to play around with the original recipe a bit. I ended up cutting out the most labor intensive part of the meal since I had no functioning stove top and I am SO glad I did. This turned out really well so I'm not including those first steps as this is a much easier version. Also, the original recipe called for some red wine which I substituted with chicken broth since I figured a 10 year old wouldn't much be into that. Just in case you couldn't figure it out, this isn't healthy. But, it's warm, cozy and easy when you feel like treating yourself and was loved by kid and adults alike! (Also, I have no picture of this so get over it ;))

Side note: Try to find the frozen ravioli as they are MUCH less expensive then the refrigerated kind. If you can't find frozen, just toss the refrigerated kind in the freezer overnight.

Easy Cheesy Ravioli Casserole
Serves 8-10

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (26-28oz) tomato-based pasta sauce (I used Pomi)
3/4 chicken broth
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil
2 (25oz) package frozen ravioli
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Combine onion, garlic, pasta sauce, chicken broth and basil in a bowl and stir together to combine.

Layer 2 cups of the tomato sauce into the cooker. Ass one package of the frozen ravioli, then sprinkle with half the mozzarella and 2 tbsp of the Parmesan. Repeat process. Cover with remaining sauce.

Cover and cook on high for 2.5-3.5 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. The casserole is done when the ravioli from the center is hot throughout. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and let cook for 10 more minutes.

0 comments:

Bi-Coastal Foodies   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP